MICKI'S HUF HAUS

Welcome to my huf haus blogspot! Over the forthcoming days and weeks, I intend (and I have good intentions!) to keep you updated with the progress of our "haus". I'm not an expert blogger so please bear with me ....I'll try my best!

Wednesday 26 March 2008

DAY 2 OF THE BUILD!!






THE MORNING!

To be honest, we didn't arrive on site until 2pm today...after all we also have work to do so unfortuntately we missed the mornings progress...however here's the latest update!

Last night (11pm) another truck from Germany arrived on site carrying the concrete roof panels. He parked up and according to the neighbours, he slept in his truck until the German workforce arrived from their travl lodge at 7am! Apparently the english don't serve breakfast early enough so they had to miss it....OOOPS!!...7am and I'm still in bed!

So at 7am morning work began...the concrete panels were craned into place and come our arrival at 2pm we had a ceiling on the ground floor and a concrete first floor!! We arrived just in time to find our first floor front wall being craned into place!






2pm - The front first floor wall is made up of completly glass panels with 1 small white half panel (the bathroom needs to have some privacy) . Again like clockwork it fell into place with wall 2 following 20 minutes later!



2.50pm - A full glass wall is erected to the rear, this has the windows for our master bedroom, dressing room and tv lounge! I vow at this stage to keep the dressing room very tidy and invest asap in a blind...who wants their entire on wardrobe on show!!!





3pm- Andy our groundworks man needs a lift! The huge concrete rings need lifting into place for the chain rings to fall into. Can the Germans help by letting us use the crane?? No problem they say! We think it could take upto an hour to get the rings into place. Guess how long?? Less than 5 minutes...it was that quick I almost missed the picture! Even Andy is gobsmacked!! We're still in awe!!


UPTO 5.30pm - The remainder of the exterior wall panels fall into place...it's beginning to look like a house and it's looking a bit bigger than I expected!! (this is good of course!!) By 5.30pm the wagon is empty and it looks the germans are downing tools for the day. After all it is 5.30pm, the time most english workers finish! I go to find out what tomorrows plans are!
And guess what....they are having a brew (the first I have witnessed)...They laughed at my thoughts of them finishing for the day...the next wagon is due on site at 5.50pm with the internal walls for the first floor...silly me...they will work until night fall...they are efficient germans after all!! Luckily the weather has picked up from this morning, we have sunnish intervals!


5.49pm - Bang on schedule the next wagon arrives and it's load is huge! it's all unwrapped and within 20 minutes internal walls are being craned off. We spend the next 45 mins talking to the neighbours who are arriving home from work rather suprised by the difference from the moning!

19.00- As night is falling we decide to head home...the germans are still working strong, the crane is still in full operation...who knows what time they will finish tonight...I guess I'll find out tomorrow but so far it's been a 12 hour day for them!